Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Mario Bros.

Created this cake for a little birthday boy named Dylan, back in March 2011.  The theme for his birthday party was Super Mario Bros.  I had also learned that Dylan and his family are huge soccer fans.  His parents requested that I incorporate Mario & Luigi and a hint of soccer :-)  So I did!





























Although it's hard to see, Yoshi is actually "running"
around the cake with a soccer ball in his hands!




























I was psyched about this cake because this is one of my favorite Nintendo video games from back-in-the-day!

If memory serves me right, I believe both tiers of this cake were a rich chocolate, filled with fresh strawberry preserves, covered in a vanilla buttercream outside and a fondant overlay tinted a shade of light blue.  Everything on the cake was crafted from fondant, including the figures, and painted with color icing gel.  All of Mario's & Luigi's body parts were held together with toothpicks and placed inside empty plastic sprinkle containers that I filled with leftover cake bits & frosting.  I then wrapped the containers in fondant to mimic portal pipes in the video game.  I never thought I'd pull this off, especially since I had never created 3D characters before.  These little men were my first :-)  Overall.....success!

No comments:

Post a Comment